Parker had his first scout camp last week and what a blast! I was able to go since I was recently called to be a leader. This camp was amazing and the boys learned so much. There were so many great activities for them to do and so many badges and belt loops to earn. I really hope we get the opportunity to attend this camp every year.
Camp was 3 days long, but only during the day. We were able to go home, sleep in our beds, shower and return the next day refreshed. It couldn't have been more perfect. And the drive was only 30 min!
Some of the activities included:
Archery
Parker was excited to get a bulls eye
Even us adults were able to try
Knot tying
The boys were given tests to learn certain ways to tie ropes to be able to carry heavy weights. They then had to practice carrying around their friends
BB gun shooting, The boys were more than thrilled to be able to learn this one.
Swimming, each boy had to test in different strokes to determine what level of swimming they were in, they also had to learn some different techniques to stay afloat or save a drowning victim.
They also had Sports time, and each day was a different sport, crafts, free time, and much more..
Each night they ended with "Campfire" which was time for each Den to do their camp song, skit, performance, awards etc. The boys loved watching all the other kids.
Part of camp was getting a t-shirt and hat which you were required to wear the entire 3days as uniform. Our Theme was Pirates of the Pueblo which was genius for these boys. They loved all the things that went along with it.
Each group was given a campsite, which consisted of a picnic table, shade covering and water hook up to fill water balloons. It is tradition to have massive Water balloon fight the entire time at camp. The boys were filling them up every chance they had. Jeff and I spent time the night before filling a whole cooler full of them so we were prepared in the event of an ambush upon arrival. It was perfect. One rule at camp was that you were not allowed to be dry. They did everything possible to abide by this rule.
At your campsite, each group is "judged" by your decorations at your site. I made a Pirate map to hang up, and we took some Pirate swords, skulls, coins, treasure chest etc. to make it all happen. I didn't get a picture of everything, but here is our group. We have one of the largest Wolves group around, not everyone is in the photo, but we have 18 wolves all together.
Here are the "Pirates of the 22" ( our name )
Along with that theme, the camp did a fantastic treasure hunt for each group to complete which ended with a bunch of candy treasure for the boys to enjoy. They also had the stage set up like a giant pirate ship with cannons shooting water out into the crowd to get people wet. It really was something they will remember forever.
I tried to get a picture of the ship, but this was the best I could do. They also had a plank for the boys to walk if they were caught doing something they weren't supposed to do. Fantastic!
This is what the boys looked like at the end of each day. Camp didn't end until 10:30pm! What a day!
I feel so blessed to be a part of an amazing ward, which provides amazing opportunities for my little family. I couldn't be happier where I live!
17 years ago


2 comments:
what a fun camp! Now I am almost looking forward to the day that Nathan goes! Of course, my hat goes off to you for going too - not my cup of tea!
Well, I'm glad you're in our ward too :) Camp looked like fun for the kids...I'm with Kim on that one, fun for you, not for me!!!!
Post a Comment